Dane County Flooding
Last Update – November 29, 2018
Last Update – October 31, 2018
Persons who were harmed by the floods have until December 17, 2018 to apply for federal disaster assistance. Disaster assistance can take many forms including low interest loans and grants to individuals. Other types of disaster assistance can include disaster related unemployment and food assistance. Currently there are several different sources for disaster assistance.
Individuals looking for help should apply for the following assistance in this order:
- Apply for assistance with FEMA. This application will also make applicants eligible for the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) loan program (YES this is for individuals too).
- On-line at OR
- Over the telephone at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) OR
- In person at FEMA’s Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) in Middleton open Monday thru Saturday from 9:00am to 6:00pm (located at the Pines Center Suites, 2413 Parmenter Street, Middleton, WI 53562).
- If federal assistance is denied (either or both FEMA and SBA) or additional assistance is needed to repair damaged homes, individuals may apply for assistance from the Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA) by calling 800 / 562-5546.
- If persons have lost employment because of the disaster, they can apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance ().
FEMA’s Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) will have representatives from FEMA, the SBA, and state agencies on hand to help citizens apply for assistance and answer questions regarding disaster assistance.
Businesses can seek disaster assistance through:
- Small Business Administration (SBA)
- On-line at OR
- In person at the SBA Wisconsin District Office Monday thru Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm (located at 740 Regent St., Suite 100 Madison, WI 53715).
- Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) -
The first step to seeking disaster assistance is to submit an application to FEMA. DO NOT WAIT to apply! You won’t be eligible for assistance if you don’t apply.
October 23, 2018
FEMA Teams Deploy to Assist with Registration
The FEMA Disaster Service Assistance Teams (DSA) will begin going door to door in flood/storm affected Dane County communities beginning today. The sole mission is to assist residents register with FEMA for disaster assistance. They will be begin in the Village of Mazomanie and move to other affected areas of Dane County. They will not get to every homeowner. Their purpose is to encourage homeowners and renters to register with FEMA one of three ways:
Three ways to apply for FEMA funding:
- Call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA)
- Register thru the FEMA website and click on "Enter your city and State or Zip Code to see if your area has been declared" and then choose apply ONLINE
- When opened visit the FEMA Disaster Recovery Center. This location will be heavily advertised once it is established. The Disaster Recovery will be a location where people can interact face to face with FEMA and other available resources. Monitor media and the County website for more information. /
- Small Business Administration (SBA) - Also be available at the Disaster Recovery Center.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Money Management During A Disaster
- Resources for Your Flooded Home
You may also donate to local agencies such as: Goodwill, Second Harvest, St. Vincent DePaul.